This article is outdated as of Hotcakes version 3.0 and only useful for reference.
If you activate your license in development, you will not be able to activate it again in production, but activation in nearly all cases shouldn't be necessary prior to going live.
Hotcakes customers like yourself can develop against the trial version of Hotcakes for as long as you want, on as many developer workstations as you want. If you don't have an active/paid license, then you should not be developing against Hotcakes at all, per our End User License Agreement.
Trial mode has only a couple of things that you want to be aware of.
- You will experience a "nag" message about trial mode
- There will be an interstitial page at checkout
- You can only use the test payment gateway
Otherwise, trial mode is fully functional. These things are generally acceptable in most development environments - and it's in fact how we do most of our own development.
Activating your license to perform testing before going live should only be necessary for testing the payment gateway. Everything else will work exactly the same way, so testing is going to be identical with and without an activated license.
In order to safely activate and test in a non-production version of your website before launch, you will want to follow the instructions below.
- Put your development website into your production environment
- Make sure the development site has a different IP address than your production site (this requires that more than one IP address exist on the server, and that the development site definition has this setting applied in IIS)
- Update the hosts file on your workstation(s) to point the production URL to the other IP address (also known as spoofing a domain)
- Activate your license as shown in our documentation